Track Day Black Flags

PVGR

Totally Hooked
Trader
Feb 5, 2022
Berkshire
The GR looks very exploitable with good balance.

I did sprints for years and enjoyed fully exploiting my car's handling limits.

However my experiences of track days are frustrating, I had a 400hp R33 which was very lively and ended getting asked to leave Bedford.

Was I drifting - some - was I being crazy with lots of other cars around me - no.

For me, taking the car beyond the limits of grip helps you learn the car, and my experience is that they were not happy with this and expected you to stay within the limits 100%.

Keen to get others experiences as I'd love to do track days if they actually allow you to explore the car.

KobayashiMaru86

Totally Hooked
Apr 14, 2022
Swansea, Wales
Think Castle Combe let you a little, given the calibre of idiot that turn up to some of the Action Days. Asked a friend who tracks and Llandow didn't seem fussed either way. It is quite an abrasive surface there though.

When I get mine I also want to look into skid pan training and anything I can to relearn RWD and to find the limits.

Reactions: PVGR

v8s

Totally Hooked
Apr 15, 2022
No experience of either of these but might be worth a look

Reactions: PVGR

garybee

Dedicated member
Apr 24, 2022
I have a Caterham that I used to sprint/hill climb pretty successfully. Even going at full race pace I've never been black flagged at any circuit or had comments about my driving. I've always understood that the rule (written or not) was that you shouldn't intentionally hang the back end out. It isn't fast so It's pretty obvious if you're doing it intentionally.

Same with 'bike track days... lifting the front over a crest is never a problem whereas intentionally pulling a wheelie is going to get you removed from circuit.

I don't believe that the issue is 'staying within the limits' but more 'intentionally going sideways'. If the back end steps out on corner entry it's because you've trail braked or overcooked it slightly. If it continuously does it to a large angle on corner exit you've stopped trying to go fast and are just playing.

PVGR

Totally Hooked
Trader
Feb 5, 2022
Berkshire
Interesting, I think the thing for me is why is it such a bad thing to play?

I enjoy full clean pace and a bit of fun, not sure why I can't do both.

garybee

Dedicated member
Apr 24, 2022
Oh it's definitely fun I absolutely agree with you there. I do however believe that's it's a bit of an unwritten rule that it isn't allowed on track days. I suspect it's as a result of either the amount of time that sessions are curtailed as a result of failed attempts or that there is generally a queue behind any car on circuit that stops trying to go fast and starts trying to go sideways.

Autotests are one place where you can spend every session with the rears lit up and nobody cares. Either that or an actual 'drift club' may be the way to go.