GR Yaris The wrap thread!

Swede

Absorbed member
Feb 16, 2022
Here we could collect all real wraps that has been done, i start with this one i found a few days back. Looks like something Ken Block would do with his Gymkhana cars , cool and I like it.
Screenshot_20221121_200735_Instagram.jpg

Dav1d

Obsessed member
Dec 18, 2021
I am reviving this old thread as I’m considering wrapping my car - a lot more basic than these ones though. A couple simple questions if anybody can help?

What’s an approximate cost for a plain colour (ballpark in the UK, just so I don’t get ripped off when I ask for a quote ?)

How does it work with insurance - presumably the car is still the same colour underneath but not in appearance so does this need updated or notified with eg DVLA too? And in modifications I guess it’s a sticker rather than respray (I will probably contact them).

Finally, I have a small scuff to the rear bumper which I intend to fix at some point or get Smart repaired, but if it’s getting wrapped is there any point?

Thanks!

FaithlessEmo

Devoted member
Mar 20, 2022
I am reviving this old thread as I’m considering wrapping my car - a lot more basic than these ones though. A couple simple questions if anybody can help?

What’s an approximate cost for a plain colour (ballpark in the UK, just so I don’t get ripped off when I ask for a quote ?)

How does it work with insurance - presumably the car is still the same colour underneath but not in appearance so does this need updated or notified with eg DVLA too? And in modifications I guess it’s a sticker rather than respray (I will probably contact them).

Finally, I have a small scuff to the rear bumper which I intend to fix at some point or get Smart repaired, but if it’s getting wrapped is there any point?

Thanks!

I don know all the answers, but the ones i do!

- You have to tell them about it if changes the majority of the car colour. Also stops police needlessly pulling you over.
- Its classed as a modifcation so will have to let your insurance know with a possible increase.
- Scuff you will still maybe seen in the wrap depending on how bad it is. But if it doesnt bother you now, may not when wrapped!

Dav1d

Obsessed member
Dec 18, 2021
Thanks! That’s super helpful and food for thought. I do fancy a change but maybe some colour accents will be simpler instead.

Enjoy your YouTube videos btw, really need to get stuck into gran turismo properly soon (or buy a ps5 as my ps4 is on the blink).

I don know all the answers, but the ones i do!

- You have to tell them about it if changes the majority of the car colour. Also stops police needlessly pulling you over.
- Its classed as a modifcation so will have to let your insurance know with a possible increase.
- Scuff you will still maybe seen in the wrap depending on how bad it is. But if it doesnt bother you now, may not when wrapped!

FaithlessEmo

Devoted member
Mar 20, 2022
Thanks! That’s super helpful and food for thought. I do fancy a change but maybe some colour accents will be simpler instead.

Enjoy your YouTube videos btw, really need to get stuck into gran turismo properly soon (or buy a ps5 as my ps4 is on the blink).
Well thank you for the support.

I am going to try my hand at a little wrapping soon and will post in on my channel too! so keep an eye out for that!

Reactions: Dav1d

GRBadger

Fascinated Member
Dec 6, 2021

Thanks!
Average UK cost for a small car is approx £2500 for a plain exterior wrap. Considerably more if you want the door shuts done as well. It’s not cheap and if you mark a panel then you’d need it replaced. It’s not the bargain people think it is but that’s the price you pay to have something unique. I fancy a nice gunmetal or satin grey myself.

Reactions: Dav1d

Pappyjohn

Totally Hooked
Jan 29, 2022
Warwickshire
Yes the door shuts bump the price up a lot as it is quite a bit of work.

Try a local signage place, the type that go company names on vans etc. I have had a quote of less than £2k because it's a small car and the roof doesn't need doing. No door shuts though but the job is just as good.

Reactions: Dav1d and Spirited

Dav1d

Obsessed member
Dec 18, 2021
Thanks both. I’m chuckling to myself because in my head the number started with a 1 at most, so some accent stripes or new wheels instead it is then! Good tip with the signage place though, I just fancy a bit of a change as at the weekend I saw 2 other cars 3 and all were white with mudflaps, ie identical to mine! Some interesting colours to mix it up would be great but might have to have a think.

Obsessed member
Vendor
Dec 2, 2021
Be wary of local sign shops. Many 'think' they can wrap. Most can't. It's a little more involved than fitting a few cut letters on the side of a Transit van.

We charge around £1600 + VAT for a standard colour change on a Yaris, without the roof, and without door shuts. We tend to turn away anyone wanting door returns doing as it's simply too time consuming, can't really be charged at the same rate as the exterior, and to do it properly you have to remove the doors. Not something I'd be happy doing on my own car, let alone a customer's. It's a lot of work for results that can only be seen for a few seconds.

I'm planning on changing mine again soon, possibly before our Alps trip mid-June. I'll be sure to post a couple of pics in here if I manage to get it done.

IMG_0024.jpg
IMG_8659.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg

MrJ

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 6, 2021
Be wary of local sign shops. Many 'think' they can wrap. Most can't. It's a little more involved than fitting a few cut letters on the side of a Transit van.

We charge around £1600 + VAT for a standard colour change on a Yaris, without the roof, and without door shuts. We tend to turn away anyone wanting door returns doing as it's simply too time consuming, can't really be charged at the same rate as the exterior, and to do it properly you have to remove the doors. Not something I'd be happy doing on my own car, let alone a customer's. It's a lot of work for results that can only be seen for a few seconds.

I'm planning on changing mine again soon, possibly before our Alps trip mid-June. I'll be sure to post a couple of pics in here if I manage to get it done.

View attachment 16966View attachment 16967View attachment 16968
An example of @Sticky ’s standard colour change wrap is mine:

AB8DEF2C-D5DB-4A49-9E56-FF5CB23B6A16.jpeg

Still pleased with it 9 months later. It’s picking up a few stone chips as expected, showing the white underneath, but it is a daily driver doing approx 1k miles a month.

Hoping to keep it on for another couple of years, but might refresh it by redoing the bonnet black once it’s more white than red 😊

Also to give an idea of what the wrap with no door shuts etc looks like. Can’t say it’s ever bothered me, and the lines are nice and neat.

A84FF461-C665-41F2-979D-72C2C2CE6815.jpeg

06D364FB-8690-4414-8CD5-53D80D58DB1E.jpeg

Obsessed member
Vendor
Dec 2, 2021
Mine was approx £850 when done 2 years ago. Obviously not full wrap but I like it.View attachment 16973View attachment 16974
How much????

Jesus Christ! Thats about 3x what we'd charge for a small job like that.

Just quoted a full Rally2 replica with all logos for less than half that price. (I know I've gone in a tad low, but gotta show a bit of love to other owners ;) )

Rally2 rev.jpg

Reactions: MrJ and GottGry

Yogi896

Devoted member
Feb 26, 2022
Pembrokeshire
How much????

Jesus Christ! Thats about 3x what we'd charge for a small job like that.

Just quoted a full Rally2 replica with all logos for less than half that price. (I know I've gone in a tad low, but gotta show a bit of love to other owners ;) )

View attachment 17020
As always the issue of living away in the sticks. Only one local company I would trust the work to. May have been a bit rich but has lasted well as did my previous 2018 Abarth 595.
IMG_20200923_075617_625.jpg