The Lego Zone

Jonyboy

Absorbed member
Dec 6, 2021
Only 2 wheels

Attachments

E9A745B3-700A-48AD-A7E1-60F99F74DAB8.jpeg 8B6F974F-7AD8-44C6-B9E3-C353F007448F.jpeg

Duke

Totally Hooked
Dec 27, 2021
Santa brought me the Cat D11. Currently sitting in bits on my breakfast bar after stage 2 of 8 as I build up the courage to dismantle it to find out which bit of the early drive distribution assembly I borked up 🙄 😁

Duke

Totally Hooked
Dec 27, 2021
Got this orange piece the wrong way round on one side, meant the drive couldn’t be transferred to the blade actuators as one side was jammed solid.
7D0C3920-D94B-4247-B913-05ABC9C47C01.jpeg

Last edited:

Humptydumptyhadabigone

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
A bit of an update. Tried making a folding disc harrow and a ripper but didn't look very good. Proportions and bits are too different to the real thing and scale was tricky. So I thought about a land plane or scraper and gave the latter a crack.

Still some work to do but I ran out of the relevant parts. Ordered a few more bits to fill in the scraper body and will probably swap the geared cylinders for pneumatic ones and hide the pump in the tractor body. I could run gears to these and use the pto but as I don't use the drives anyway the pneumatic cylinders look better. Probably. Also grabbed some ag pattern tyres for those rims and another two rims but whether the ag tyres will fit without major modifications is yet to be seen.

Looks pretty reasonable given the limitations of lego. I will cover the exposed holes in the lift arms if I can get bits to suit.

mjscall

Dedicated member
Dec 14, 2021
PXL_20221230_103851890.jpg

PXL_20221230_103903309.jpg

Optimus Prime is done, loads of spare parts in that set......assuming I've not just built it all wrong ha

ISS next and then I'll tackle the Mclaren in the new year

Humptydumptyhadabigone

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
Got the rest of the major bits for my scratch built scraper.

Added a sliding ejector too and went for pneumatic cylinders so both the upsie downsie (tech ag term) and the slidery bit (also tech ag term) work. Still waiting on some more valves and a yellow pump to finish the plumbing but it is structurally done.

Tractor with quad road type tyres

Bought some tractor treads which work goodly, I was a bit concerned they would not fit with the tractor build but all good so four more will be ordered.

Scraping...

Half ejectoring

Quad tractor tyres...

And on the wall of shame in my study where it will live.

Humptydumptyhadabigone

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
The crawler crane I made was getting in the way and really was quite unwieldy. So I broke it down and removed the luffing fly. Took some resjigging but it is all reaved and sitting on my desk. Probably should have left it like this in the first place. Ah well. I still have the luffing fly and masts so it is only an hour or so to put it back though reaving it takes nearly as long as the real thing! I will pick up some 1:50 scale chains and sling the fly properly but that is for laterer.

Sitting on the desk out of the way. Room for something else between it and the Liebherr excavator...

Seano1878

Totally Hooked
Apr 13, 2022
Manchester
Usually receive Lego as a secret Santa gift each year, always car related and when built they go on a shelf in the man cave.. latest being the 512 M.. however I’ve just seen this set announced and despite not really having room to display it in my man cave I want it.. 😂

Reactions: GRdad

Dav1d

Obsessed member
Dec 18, 2021
My little garage completed during a week off work with Covid. Quite enjoy the speed champions models for some simple but fun models to build.

Some of them are hit or miss in appearance though as the curves don’t quite work on the scale Lego have chosen!

33CBFF23-DA86-43B4-BD6F-47A8B9F5B76E.jpeg

Humptydumptyhadabigone

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
I have been scratch building a traction engine. Plan is to have working steering using a worm as per original and a motor to drive it. The only spare motor and battery box I have is one of the very old style so the battery box will need to go in a water tank trailer or similar. Wheels have been a challenge but I grabbed some helicopter rotor centres and built from those and they seem to work better than the cobbled together stuff I made previously. Going to machine some tyres out of pvc or aluminium because there is absolutely nothing in lego that will work. That is still some time off but if it works I will get some more tiles and colour code the thing. Steering works with some of the standard lego cord stuff as the lego chain is way too big for this build. Parts list are a lot of tiles for the rear body, some round tiles off the various steam locomotives to make the front of the boiler and some panels to complete the roof in white. Bit of fun.

One of the earlier iterations:

Current motorised version without the new style wheels:

• Love
Reactions: Dav1d