Recommendations for hybrid family car

Mintmansam

Obsessed member
Dec 16, 2021
The revised 1.8 Corolla will be something like 130+bhp, which seems trivial these days but the current car returns 70+mpg in town/ 60+ motorway. Toyota should be focusing on even better economy, not more power, as petrol prices aren't coming down any time soon.

Eco mode seems to have the engine on more than normal mode, but it will take you up a hill on battery alone. The air conditioning works better in Eco mode - that might be the reason.
Issue is you've got a very well developed ICE running the atkinson cycle and a CVT, you could spend millions and only marginally improve it, if at all. I guess if they include a larger motor there might be a reduction in the work the ICE does or the frequency of cut in. Larger electric motor means maybe some people who may have gone for 2.0 might now go for 1.8, and the brand can compete easier with rivals.

Car manufacturers most likely haven't been able to adapt to the various changes that have caused increased petrol prices yet, other than shelving models

Maxxx17

Jul 22, 2022
Thank you for your recommendations. I would purchase some sort of family car trivially for moving and traveling. After all, I don't have one and have to go to move Calgary to use their services at link. I liked that they check their fleet daily to make sure the trucks are working properly to keep customers and their belongings safe. And when I get one of these vehicles I will be able to move myself as well as travel.

Last edited:

Yahonza

Dedicated member
Dec 17, 2021
Best mpg so far in the 1.8 Corolla, currently averaging 74.5mpg
Screenshot 2022-08-29 at 20.34.05.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: GRunt