GR86 Post delivery cancelling - what do I need to know?

Evilution

Fascinated Member
Aug 22, 2023
Howdy, long story but picked up my new white car on Friday. If I want to cancel this now, my understanding is I can phone up Toyota Online within 14 days and confirm that is the case? Anyone done this and if so what do I need to know? Car will be back at the dealership tomorrow anyway, so is there an inspection carried out etc? Also, as it’s on finance, how quickly is the cancellation processed and the deposit returned?

Any experience/advice appreciated, thanks.

Triggaaar

Totally Hooked
Jul 6, 2023
Brighton
No idea on the details, but I'd certainly email them as well as calling, so you've got the cancellation in writing.

So what's the long story?

Evilution

Fascinated Member
Aug 22, 2023
No idea on the details, but I'd certainly email them as well as calling, so you've got the cancellation in writing.

So what's the long story?
Hi, thanks, good call on the email. Am a 2nd waver, ordered end July. Car arrived earlier than I‘d expected, mid-September. Was going to be away and spoke to the dealer and TOL to say no rush my side, aim for end of the month to pickup. Car was in the dealership car park when someone decided to chuck a rock over the fence, through the rear window. Car still had the plastic on, I’d asked them to leave this on, don’t wash etc. Dealer advised no other damage, wasn’t anything obvious (I had a look also) so said I was happy to get this replaced. This was done and I picked the car up Friday. Still with plastic wrap on. Gets home, removes wrap and a fking great dent and marks in the roof. Phoned them, took photos and taking it back in to them tomorrow to look at. The position of the damage (on one of the roof creases) and the paint colour (pearlescent) means I’ve got my doubts about how well they can repair that, without it being visible to some degree. From my side should have taken the wrap off at the dealer would have been obvious at that point. Similarly, they should have done a better job on inspecting for other damage before letting it out.

So out of curiosity I had a look to see if I could order another, and what do you know…. I am looking to see what is required in walking away from the original car.

• Sad
Reactions: beorg and callahan

Triggaaar

Totally Hooked
Jul 6, 2023
Brighton
Hi, thanks, good call on the email. Am a 2nd waver, ordered end July. Car arrived earlier than I‘d expected, mid-September. Was going to be away and spoke to the dealer and TOL to say no rush my side, aim for end of the month to pickup. Car was in the dealership car park when someone decided to chuck a rock over the fence, through the rear window. Car still had the plastic on, I’d asked them to leave this on, don’t wash etc. Dealer advised no other damage, wasn’t anything obvious (I had a look also) so said I was happy to get this replaced. This was done and I picked the car up Friday. Still with plastic wrap on. Gets home, removes wrap and a fking great dent and marks in the roof. Phoned them, took photos and taking it back in to them tomorrow to look at. The position of the damage (on one of the roof creases) and the paint colour (pearlescent) means I’ve got my doubts about how well they can repair that, without it being visible to some degree. From my side should have taken the wrap off at the dealer would have been obvious at that point. Similarly, they should have done a better job on inspecting for other damage before letting it out.

So out of curiosity I had a look to see if I could order another, and what do you know…. I am looking to see what is required in walking away from the original car.
Oh blimey. Yeah I'd want a new one really. The question is whether they'll take responsibility for the damage or not. Getting the wrapping taken off at the dealership for the sole purpose of checking for damage has been discussed on here but sadly I'm guessing you missed those posts.

Good luck.

Reactions: Evilution

ravydavygravy

Dedicated member
Apr 7, 2022
North East

Surely you can reject it and ask them to give you another new one?

Evilution

Fascinated Member
Aug 22, 2023
Surely you can reject it and ask them to give you another new one?
Basically that’s what‘s happening, I managed to order another (incidentally all colours were available!) and have rejected the first, just dropped it back off. New one was already in Derby, should be at the dealership next week. That’ll be the 2nd new one I’ll have owned in a fortnight, thought these things were hard to get hold of! 😁