GR86 Phone holder solutions

Gari

Totally Hooked
Feb 7, 2022
Northamptonshire
Hsb's design is great, just remember when mirrored it's lefty tighty, righty loosy đŸ¤£
Screenshot_20230522-071923.png

OldManMarkoos

Devoted member
Jan 7, 2023
So... having struggled with the ergonomics of this car's controls since I got it, I've finally settled on what works for me.

I hated android auto for a few reasons:
1. It took forever to connect even when I had a mobile data signal, and just wouldn't connect if I didn't. (maybe my phone's issue, not the headunit???)
2. I find the headunit too low for SatNav which means you have to look down and take your eye of the road.
3. Switching between media / satnav was a couple of touch screen presses rather than a physical toggle button.

So now I mount my phone up high and use it as a satnav at eye level, close to my left hand for any inputs. I only connect to Bluetooth audio for podcasts etc... through the car's headunit. My phone mount is also a wireless charger which is plugged into the 12V the glove compartment, so no cable to plug into the phone. (I just need a few cable clips).

It sounds stupid, but this simple change has made me enjoy driving the car so much more because I'm no longer constantly annoyed by the AA/Media interface.
I have also unplugged the sound generator which is much better imho.

Hope this helps some others who may have the same frustrations. You don't have to use AA / CarPlay.

It doesn't solve the shitty indicator / washer / cruise control switches though or the lack of mute button on the steering wheel. (n)

20230702_174919.jpg

Reactions: Silver Fox

Sonic

Totally Hooked
Jun 23, 2023
Dunfermline
In several older cars I have used Brodit mounting brackets to great effect. The only issue I have is that you have to route a connecting cable back to the USB port, so it means sticking cable brackets along the route. That said, if they are properly positioned, routed and hidden where possible, the Brodit options are very robust. Positioned over to the left above the air vent (UK models) means that I could possibly hide the cable down the side of the glovebox and centre console ...

Reactions: OldManMarkoos

OldManMarkoos

Devoted member
Jan 7, 2023
In several older cars I have used Brodit mounting brackets to great effect. The only issue I have is that you have to route a connecting cable back to the USB port, so it means sticking cable brackets along the route. That said, if they are properly positioned, routed and hidden where possible, the Brodit options are very robust. Positioned over to the left above the air vent (UK models) means that I could possibly hide the cable down the side of the glovebox and centre console ...
Yeah, I intend running the cable down the drivers side and back of the centre console and into the power socket behind the glove box.

grzoostuff

Obsessed member
Apr 20, 2022
UK North East
So... having struggled with the ergonomics of this car's controls since I got it, I've finally settled on what works for me.

I hated android auto for a few reasons:
1. It took forever to connect even when I had a mobile data signal, and just wouldn't connect if I didn't. (maybe my phone's issue, not the headunit???)
2. I find the headunit too low for SatNav which means you have to look down and take your eye of the road.
3. Switching between media / satnav was a couple of touch screen presses rather than a physical toggle button.

So now I mount my phone up high and use it as a satnav at eye level, close to my left hand for any inputs. I only connect to Bluetooth audio for podcasts etc... through the car's headunit. My phone mount is also a wireless charger which is plugged into the 12V the glove compartment, so no cable to plug into the phone. (I just need a few cable clips).

It sounds stupid, but this simple change has made me enjoy driving the car so much more because I'm no longer constantly annoyed by the AA/Media interface.
I have also unplugged the sound generator which is much better imho.

Hope this helps some others who may have the same frustrations. You don't have to use AA / CarPlay.

It doesn't solve the shitty indicator / washer / cruise control switches though or the lack of mute button on the steering wheel. (n)

View attachment 18061
Looks good I may move my brodit to this side too.

Reactions: OldManMarkoos