Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
Was not the most staright forward install but we managed to get it working by
using
- xbb output 1 for High beams and
- xbb output 2 for IGNITION.

Light switches on when putting lights into manual and switching first time for the high beams.
Put to low beams it goes into low light support mode.
Switching back to auto lights led bar seems to stay on (even though it should not, as xbb states it works only in manual lights mode).

didin't test what happens if in auto mode put into high beams but will test it later.

AND remember to pair the power relay also from the app. it took a a while to understand that also power relay needs to be paired with the phone, not only the obd. getting there...

Reactions: Onehp

Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
its behind the grill. some of the low beam assist is blocked by the fins in the grill but calculating all the benefits and negatives of integrated vs. front mounting I think its better to have installed as integrated. One option was to cut all the fins out of grill but decided not to go that route - maybe if grill gets broken that's one option to test.

Reactions: Sturesmyg

Woolywally

Fascinated Member
Dec 24, 2021
Hope you don't mind a bit of a thread revival.
I'm thinking of the Lazer Elite 18 in combination with the XBB kit (if I can find anyone in the UK who will sell me the XBB) and had a couple of questions:
Am I right in thinking that the XBB relay should be able to power the light bar directly and I shouldn't therefore need the Lazer wiring kit?
Have you found that the combination does support the cars auto functions? I'm not too worried about the auto dip (it's probably a bit too lazy for the upgraded main beam I think), but it would be nice to retain the auto lights on/off if possible.

adding @Onehp as I think he is also using the XBB, albeit with a different light.

TIA

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
On my ST8 evo the XBB does a simple on/off function on the high beam signal.
On the Elite I-LBA it's a bit more complicated, I don't know the best system logic there, @Michael Knight has something but not sure what he recommends.

What I do know is that the XBB dongle can wirelessly control several XBB Power Units, of which each can switch one 15A and one 5A. There is also a wireless button so there is no need for wiring in the cabin either, could be handy for the I-LBA? Each power unit is connceted to the power source/battery and to the lighting, a suitable harness is needed then (standard harnass minus the wiring for the signal and/or interior switch)

In the app one pairs up which CAN signal controls what. So there is plenty functionality there at least...

Reactions: Woolywally

Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
Hope you don't mind a bit of a thread revival.
I'm thinking of the Lazer Elite 18 in combination with the XBB kit (if I can find anyone in the UK who will sell me the XBB) and had a couple of questions:
Am I right in thinking that the XBB relay should be able to power the light bar directly and I shouldn't therefore need the Lazer wiring kit?
Have you found that the combination does support the cars auto functions? I'm not too worried about the auto dip (it's probably a bit too lazy for the upgraded main beam I think), but it would be nice to retain the auto lights on/off if possible.

adding @Onehp as I think he is also using the XBB, albeit with a different light.

TIA
auto main beam dip works flawlessly even though XBB activates the Lazer when putting manually into full beams.
So you can leave the auto lights on and use the extra lazer light manually.

For install you will be fine with xbb and just lazer light, no additional Lazer wiring needed.
The only thing we had issues when installing was that we forgot intially to setup also the xbb power module via phone app. but after we found that one it started working.

btw I removed the bumper fins from the upper part that were initially blocking the light - now light spread is much better.
Don't even notice the grill missing anymore so it was just small pain when doing the job.

actually officially it is not allowed to have anything in front of the lights so having the light behind the grill is technically not allowed. not sure if that would be an issue in inspection.

Reactions: Woolywally

Woolywally

Fascinated Member
Dec 24, 2021
Thanks to you both, that's really helpful. Just had a phone call from a UK supplier of the XBB which sounds promising.

At the moment I'm thinking of the Elite without the LBA. Where I live/drive it's relatively narrow hedge lined roads - it's really those glimpses through the bends that I'm trying to maximise, I'm not sure the LBA extra functionality (however cool!) will help that.
That said it's not a huge amount more and the wiring doesn't look a whole lot more complicated...

Reactions: AK10TOY

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Where I live/drive it's relatively narrow hedge lined roads - it's really those glimpses through the bends that I'm trying to maximise,
I'm using the ST8 evo with reeded lenses 15+30° for that purpose (vid), most lights are very bright straight on but not so much to the sides.... Best of class modern lights as the Elite 18 have an ok spread to the side but also a pretty sharp cutoff there. Ideally I would need to make corner lights using the fog lights, but not that dedicated either as its quite some work incl. re-wire them them legally (to the high beam)

Last edited:

Woolywally

Fascinated Member
Dec 24, 2021
not using LBA here, got too much blinking of opposing traffic so thought to be nice and drive just with main extra beam when needed.
I did wonder if that would be a concern. I will save the money for fuel and go for the non LBA.
I'm using the ST8 evo with reeded lenses 15+30° for that purpose (vid), most lights are very bright straight on but not so much to the sides.... Best of class modern lights as the Elite 18 have an ok spread to the side but also a pretty sharp cutoff there. Ideally I would need to make corner lights using the fog lights, but not that dedicated either as its quite some work incl. re-wire them them legally (to the high beam)
Great vid, thank you. I think I'd be delighted with that result. Interesting to see the wildlife at 1:50 - it's part of my motivation for this, I want everything to stay alive for as long as possible, including my front bumper.

MarkoS

Totally Hooked
Sep 23, 2022
Started thinking about Linear-18.
But I don't understand any of the options about connecting them:
Single Lamp Wiring Kit - Position Light / Low power?
Do I need CAN interface and Contactless Reader?
Ideally, I'd like to have a button next to "heated steering wheel", when the button is ON and I use high beam, Lazer is ON.
Possible?

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Started thinking about Linear-18.
But I don't understand any of the options about connecting them:
Single Lamp Wiring Kit - Position Light / Low power?
Do I need CAN interface and Contactless Reader?
Ideally, I'd like to have a button next to "heated steering wheel", when the button is ON and I use high beam, Lazer is ON.
Possible?
Regular Linear without i-lba?

The way XBB works on my Yaris is that the led bar only gets its high beam can signal when the light stalk is twisted in the low beam position rather then auto. So this effectively becomes the led beam on/off switch when the regular high beams are on all the time (= light stalk pushed forward). Much better for me then a switch next to the heated steering which I can't find easily and quickly when driving....

Mind, when pulling the stalk, you get full power 'light horn' of the cars highbeam and the led bar irrespectice of how the light stalk twist knob position.

And as mentioned in the OP, on the XBB it is possible to power a led bar on ignition for e.g. position light or other functions as the power unit has two seperate circuits it can control.

Reactions: MarkoS

Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
Regular Linear without i-lba?

The way XBB works on my Yaris is that the led bar only gets its high beam can signal when the light stalk is twisted in the low beam position rather then auto. So this effectively becomes the led beam on/off switch when the regular high beams are on all the time (= light stalk pushed forward). Much better for me then a switch next to the heated steering which I can't find easily and quickly when driving....

Mind, when pulling the stalk, you get full power 'light horn' of the cars highbeam and the led bar irrespectice of how the light stalk twist knob position.

And as mentioned in the OP, on the XBB it is possible to power a led bar on ignition for e.g. position light or other functions as the power unit has two seperate circuits it can control.
Lba works similary, i have switched lba off so just getting the high beam support from stalks when needed. No extra high beam button here either..

MarkoS

Totally Hooked
Sep 23, 2022
Do I need XBB plugged in the car? Possible to have CANchecked and XBB at the same time?

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Do I need XBB plugged in the car? Possible to have CANchecked and XBB at the same time?
Possibly with a y-splitter but could be that the readers interfere with each other.
Only have had such issue when having dongles doing similar functions and my XBB works fine together with JB4 which performs similar function to CANchecked... but can needs to be checked to be sure.

Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
btw I removed the upper grill completely and that helped the light range quite a bit. but understand if its not for everybody..
in Finland its not allowed to keep cars light behind a grill, although quite many cars here have that LED behind the grill..

Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
My lazer light stopped working yesterday morning.
just few days ago it was working without issues but yesterday when started the car light was flashing like in safari mode even though it was not even on.
took off the xbb obd dongle and managed to do the Jyskä visit with light disconnected.
Investigated the light and relay today and it appeared that xbb light relay had lost its configuration for some reason. in addition, fw was outdated, so

1. updated the fw to latest software for both control and power modules
2. reset the setting for gr in xbb
3. reset the trigger inputs from xbb

managed to get the light working normally again.

initially it felt rather weird that light would get broken on its own but the initial feeling was right, it was software issue in the xbb relay.
now light works ok and driving can continue as previously.

Last edited: