GR86 GR86- Cars for sale - General Discussion

Itcaptainslow

Dedicated member
Sep 4, 2023
That isn’t the profile of a flipper :)

As this man said - not the profile of a flipper and not someone I’d be digging out. You’re interested in using the car but also being “looked after” in terms of depreciation, rather than simply rinsing it for as much profit as possible. There’s a subtle but big difference 😎

midlife_sportscar

Obsessed member
Apr 22, 2022
Manchester
Anything that is taking money out of your pocket and not in is a financial liability (that includes your own house), is only when you sell that it may become an asset (provided you actually made money on it)
Assets aren't the same as investments - anything of value that you own, wholly or partly, is an asset even if it is depreciating.

Reactions: doogle83 and RichM

GRMatt74

Dedicated member
Dec 22, 2023
Bedford

If memory serves, Renault pulled a similar stunt with the Clio Williams (they then produced two further batches).

Didn’t stop them being a brilliant car, nor hurt residuals - look at a good one of those now, irrespective of which batch it came from.

The only people severely negatively impacted right now are those who bought purely to flip, and quite frankly, f**k them. They were the reason I couldn’t get hold of one from the first batch, and I refused to pay their offensive premiums. Glad I did.
I wasn’t in the market for one the first time around but when they announced they were doing a second batch I missed out.
By the time the third list came out I was hesitant because the interest rate rises had been happening so I hedged my bets that they would struggle to sell the remaining cars.
It wasn’t until December when a brand new one in the colour I wanted came up and I snatched a deal with £2500 off of it.
I used some of that money to have the car PPF and ceramic done.

Reactions: Chris Mc

Bluemanc100

Totally Hooked
Jul 4, 2023
It’s fair to say 99% of cars should be viewed as a financial liability as opposed to an asset until the point they prove to be otherwise.

On the plus side it could be worse… if you’d bought a Taycan you could have purchased 2 GR86 with the money you’ve lost in depreciation on your battery powered miscalculation in the past year or so.
I’m kinda happy if we do keep the GR and get a smaller car for everyday use… I love it and it gives me a chance to convince SWMBO to go for something like an UP GTI 😬

Itcaptainslow

Dedicated member
Sep 4, 2023
I’m kinda happy if we do keep the GR and get a smaller car for everyday use… I love it and it gives me a chance to convince SWMBO to go for something like an UP GTI 😬

I’ve just taken my old Up! GTI back on from my partner as my daily car. They’re brilliant little things - it does a great impersonation of a Golf in a hot wash on the motorway, but thanks to a light kerb weight, makes the most of 115bhp.

It's a super foil to the GR86 and when Em was driving the Up!, I was always looking at it with puppy dog eyes, missing it furiously.

Vistalite

Obsessed member
I’ve just taken my old Up! GTI back on from my partner as my daily car. They’re brilliant little things - it does a great impersonation of a Golf in a hot wash on the motorway, but thanks to a light kerb weight, makes the most of 115bhp.

It's a super foil to the GR86 and when Em was driving the Up!, I was always looking at it with puppy dog eyes, missing it furiously.
I agree. I chose the High Up! TSi version with the turbo for my son's first car to keep the insurance cost down with the hope that he'd get a GTI in the future.

Reactions: RumbleandSway