2024 GR Yaris GR Yaris Mk2 (MY2024->)

6mt

Obsessed member
Feb 7, 2023
Thailand
Plus sales tax which somewhere like Florida is 6%
Most countries have a sales tax lol

In the States, the closest competitor to the CTR is the GRC Morizo. I say 'closest' because, despite being the most capable of the three variants at launch, it's a downgrade in performance in just about every way imaginable.

GRC Morizo: $49990
CTR: $44890

So, you're looking at about $5k less for a car that outperforms it in every category on dry pavement.

Bargain is an understatement. When it comes to pure, raw performance, no new car on earth can compete at this kind of price point. I know that people don’t like to hear it, but it is what it is. Then again, this is a Toyota forum, so it’s not like I’m expecting folks to agree with me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: markku and Ecsrobin

Sam

Obsessed member
Dec 6, 2021
It sounds like your only criterion for determining which car is better is its ability to handle spirited driving in inclement weather.

It's rained almost every day for the last year in the UK.

1720595354821.png

Being able to make progress whatever the (usually bad) weather is a big selling point for me given the Yaris is my daily.

Sure, it's not as dynamically interesting as my MX5 Turbo in the dry, but if I want to make progress knowing the car will just go where I point it, the Yaris ticks that box with aplomb no matter the weather.

Last edited:

Sam

Obsessed member
Dec 6, 2021
The Yaris is already pushing the envelope on what can be considered a small car in my eyes.

For me the closest historical analogs to the GR Yaris are Impreza STi TypeR, Nissan Pulsar GTi-R and Mazda 323 GT-R, i.e. all wheel drive 2 door rally homologation specials.

Dimension/CarGR YarisImpreza STi Type-RPulsar GTi-RMazda 323 GT-R
Height1455mm1410mm1410mm1345mm
Width1805mm1690mm1690mm1675mm
Length3995mm4340mm3975mm4155mm
Wheelbase2560mm2520mm2430mm2450mm

A GRY isn't small in my view, it's a mid sized hatch, but perhaps "small" by modern standards.

My Charade GTxx was small. A Starlet Turbo is small.

Dimension/CarCharade GTxxStarlet Turbo(P90)
Height1394mm1400mm
Width1610mm1625mm
Length3637mm3790mm
Wheelbase2340mm2300mm

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: markku and Florens

Ecsrobin

Totally Hooked
Dec 14, 2021
Most countries have a sales tax lol

In the States, the closest competitor to the CTR is the GRC Morizo. I say 'closest' because, despite being the most capable of the three variants at launch, it's a downgrade in performance in just about every way imaginable.

GRC Morizo: $49990
CTR: $44890

So, you're looking at about $5k less for a car that outperforms it in every category on dry pavement.

Bargain is an understatement. When it comes to pure, raw performance, no new car on earth can compete at this kind of price point. I know that people don’t like to hear it, but it is what it is. Then again, this is a Toyota forum, so it’s not like I’m expecting folks to agree with me.
UK manufacturing pricing is OTR, can’t speak for others but I believe similar with European manufacturing pricing. Even the headline US price didn’t include the handover fee that they whack on at the end of the configuration (only $1k).

My point is you’ve not been comparing like for like when discussing pricing.

And to be honest this is all irrelevant. This chat is meant to be about the mk2 Yaris.

Reactions: Sam

6mt

Obsessed member
Feb 7, 2023
Thailand
UK manufacturing pricing is OTR, can’t speak for others but I believe similar with European manufacturing pricing. Even the headline US price didn’t include the handover fee that they whack on at the end of the configuration (only $1k).

My point is you’ve not been comparing like for like when discussing pricing.

And to be honest this is all irrelevant. This chat is meant to be about the mk2 Yaris.

That’s because it’s not possible to compare like-for-like pricing since not everyone resides in the same country. Even throughout Europe, the pricing varies greatly.

For a fair comparison and in terms of value or bang for your buck, we could probably use Japan as a benchmark. After all, that's where these cars are made, and it allows us to eliminate the impact of regulatory or import tax hikes.

In Japan, the prices of these cars are relatively similar, yet the Type R outperforms all variants of the GRY and GRC, some of which are more expensive than the CTR. My experience is that the CTR has a far more performance-oriented suspension setup, significantly less body roll, better cornering stability, superior steering response and feel, and an overall stiffer-feeling chassis that results in improved handling.

Don't get me wrong, my GRY is a great daily driver with plenty of power and fun factor. I genuinely like the car for what it is. But in terms of performance, it's no CTR. Nor should it be. I realize the GRY is designed with a different purpose and target audience in mind, so I'm not criticizing it for feeling more subdued.

6mt

Obsessed member
Feb 7, 2023
Thailand
Yeah get that all you’ll find is states with income tax are likely to have a lower sales tax. So it all balances out.
Not really. The relationship between state income tax and sales tax isn't as straightforward as you suggest. Many states have both high income taxes and high sales taxes, like California, while others, like New Hampshire, have no sales tax or income tax.

Reactions: Sam

Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
My experience is that the CTR has a far more performance-oriented suspension setup, significantly less body roll, better cornering stability, superior steering response and feel, and an overall stiffer-feeling chassis that results in improved handling.

Don't get me wrong, my GRY is a great daily driver with plenty of power and fun factor. I genuinely like the car for what it is. But in terms of performance, it's no CTR. Nor should it be. I realize the GRY is designed with a different purpose and target audience in mind, so I'm not criticizing it for feeling more subdued.
Take CTR to Ouninpohja and try to follow GR Yaris. After that 30min of joy reconsider the handling performance.

Its all relative to what conditions car is set up. CTR appears to be more track focused, but if you take it on sweet gravel roads it might feel something different.