GR Yaris GR Yaris at racetrack

EBC Brakes

Absorbed member
Vendor
Mar 14, 2022
ebcbrakes.com
I absolutely love the the RP-1 one best pads have used in last 20 odd years and have tried every top range pad on large range of vehicles, reasonable kind to disc, dust not too excessive, wear rate is bit on hi side but happy to replace to benefit from outstanding retardation
Pads are fine no performance issue in that part
Thanks for the positive feedback both of you :)

DobiLux

Absorbed member
Jan 25, 2023

I had the same thing before corner weighting the car and installing the wing, the wing (MT-Carbon) has absolutely made the back end more stable now, on the exact same corner it now has a slight 4 wheel slide as I'm able to lift before turn in and feed power through the corner. It's no faster overall but it's consistent and alot more controlled.

Can I ask you where you bought the MT-Carbon spoiler (think it is one of the best out there) and how much did it cost?
Are the papers for the TÜV included?

Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
I measured my discs few weeks ago and it was hair under 27mm. so my guess is RPX consumes more disc than stock pads. measured end of last year and discs were 27.3-27.5 or thereabouts? But overall performance RPX is very very nice in terms of feel, especially with Endless fluids and braided lines. Proper race car feel.

I'm more concerned on the stock brake disc performance - any experience on aftermarket discs? I know some hard core boys have gone for carbon ceramics but they're too high in price point and wouldnt use them in daily car anyway. Endless sells brake kit which is likely good but really high price point aswell. any experience in other brake discs that would have better cooling than stock disc?

EBC seems to have good offer for discs + set of pads, if just avaible from UK with VAT0 it would be one potent option (especially if you use EBC pads already)

Last edited:

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Steel is steel (kinda). Can't see massive differences as such, aftermarket will likely keep a bit cooler, this helps all parts. It does help if on floating disks it's easy and cheaper to keep the bell and just replace the wearing steel disk.

Reactions: Michael Knight

Yaris San

Dedicated member
Dec 18, 2021
other option I've see quite few used factory disc's for sale with ppl upgrading to aftermarket discs and prices are great for a relative lo worn disc and ready supply

Reactions: Michael Knight

Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
Visited today new faster track. Car overall ok and same issues - on longer turns it understeers like pig so maybe need to check that -3'C degree front camber - was there any negatives in terms of tire wear in street use?

Another concern noted that after two fast laps oil pressure got really low - didn't get much above 2.3-2.5bar mark (was looking the factory gauge so not really precise) - GRC has the limit of min 2.2bar at 3k, but pressure did not seem to get any higher even with higher rpm. Got me thinking that is not enough and maybe should look for heavier oil for track use in summer. Water and oil temps were ok, water did not ever go above 100'C and oils at 120-125'C.

Got the power steering issue usually in two corners on the track, so it was there again.

IMG_7235.jpeg

Last edited:

Spirited

Obsessed member
Jan 23, 2022
Hampshire, South East England
Visited today new faster track. Car overall ok and same issues - on longer turns it understeers like pig so maybe need to check that -3'C degree front camber - was there any negatives in terms of tire wear in street use?...

No, only positives! 🤣 🤣🤣

(sorry, I had to). 😊

To an extent, it depends on your definition of street use. Combined with excessive toe, it's likely to have a detrimental effect on tyre wear. Without aggressive toe too, I would still monitor tyres closely for uneven wear.

My main concerns though would be in terms of tradeoffs other than tyre wear. Namely, straight line braking, as @MarkoS pointed out, antics from the rear (especially as a result of any significant imbalance between front-rear camber) and what @Onehp mentioned:

And generally a need to be so focused at all times that is unrealistic for street use, as I perceive it.

Currently at - 2.5 deg front and brand new grippiest stock size tyres for road use, I am amazed by how the car turns some times. It's as if it's a shorter wheel base compared to how the car felt with stock geo settings. All this is for when it doesn't understeer. When it does (for me it's usually when accelerating mid-turn), I hate it. But I wouldn't feel comfortable with even more static negative camber for all the reasons above. So, looking into Front Wishbone Rear Bush solutions for antilift and added dynamic camber (by increasing caster), enhancing grip for both the inner & outer wheel. I think @MarkoS reported some harshness at low speeds with Whiteline parts, so need feedback on the two (road vs track) Powerflex solutions, as they really know their polybushes, etc.

Failing that, I would consider:
  • Driving skills course
  • Therapy
  • Selling it and using the money to buy a RWD.

Last edited:

Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
No, only positives! 🤣 🤣🤣

(sorry, I had to). 😊

To an extent, it depends on your definition of street use. Combined with excessive toe, it's likely to have a detrimental effect on tyre wear. Without aggressive toe too, I would still monitor tyres closely for uneven wear.

My main concerns though would be in terms of tradeoffs other than tyre wear. Namely, straight line braking, as @MarkoS pointed out, antics from the rear (especially as a result of any significant imbalance between front-rear camber) and what @Onehp mentioned:

And generally a need to be so focused at all times that is unrealistic for street use, as I perceive it.

Currently at - 2.5 deg front and brand new grippiest stock size tyres for road use, I am amazed by how the car turns some times. It's as if it's a shorter wheel base compared to how the car felt with stock geo settings. All this is for when it doesn't understeer. When it does (for me it's usually when accelerating mid-turn), I hate it. But I wouldn't feel comfortable with even more static negative camber for all the reasons above. So, looking into Front Wishbone Rear Bush solutions for antilift and added dynamic camber (by increasing caster), enhancing grip for both the inner & outer wheel. I think @MarkoS reported some harshness at low speeds with Whiteline parts, so need feedback on the two (road vs track) Powerflex solutions, as they really know they're polybushes, etc.

Failing that, I would consider:
  • Driving skills course
  • Therapy
  • Selling it and using the money to buy a RWD.
I have to agree maybe all this is needed. Likely taking longer corners as V could also help but what can you do with limited hand and feet coordination ..

KimmE_GR

Dedicated member
Mar 29, 2022
With -2,5° front and -2,25° rear camber in combination with H&R antirollbars (softest setting in front and hardest in rear) the understeer is pretty much gone for my feelings. There is some understeer maybe if you accelerate mid corner like @Spirited said. But if i drive the corner correct i shouldn`t have to accelerate like this.