GR86 Exhausts

Goatwidcoat

Devoted member
Aug 15, 2022
Nottingham
I've ordered Milltek resonated with black ceramic tips 😎
Intrigued to hear how this is when you get it. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on either the Milltek or Cobra resonated. Both are within an hour from me to buy and get them to fit too. I'd love the AWE Touring but it's my wife's car and I know the cold start would just be way too much for her despite how perfect it sounds once this is over. We are doing the NC500 end of May and want an exhaust sorted by then but not droning away for the first 5 hours on the motorway on the way up there :LOL:

Reactions: sbc_uk

Joolone

Absorbed member
Aug 31, 2023
Berkshire
Intrigued to hear how this is when you get it. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on either the Milltek or Cobra resonated. Both are within an hour from me to buy and get them to fit too. I'd love the AWE Touring but it's my wife's car and I know the cold start would just be way too much for her despite how perfect it sounds once this is over. We are doing the NC500 end of May and want an exhaust sorted by then but not droning away for the first 5 hours on the motorway on the way up there :LOL:
The AWE touring sounded great on videos without the drone, but I am edging towards the Cobra resonated as it should just give me enough throaty sound. But would love to hear both these exhausts in one video.

sbc_uk

Totally Hooked
Jun 25, 2023
London, UK
www.instagram.com
Mine gets fitted mid April by Fensport. I will be happy to report back.

I went for the Milltek Resonated as I want OEM+, better sound, a little more performance (coupled with future air intake mods) and NO drone. Milltek ticks all these boxes. I hope :-/ Plus I love those black ceramic tips ;-)

qajteq

Fascinated Member
Sep 14, 2023
No issues taking 5h trip as there is no drone on Touring version. It's "loud" enough and quiet in the same time. Different story is when you ride with some cargo with rear seats folded. Then it's too loud for my taste - snowboard or something longer.
Mine gets fitted mid April by Fensport. I will be happy to report back.

I went for the Milltek Resonated as I want OEM+, better sound, a little more performance (coupled with future air intake mods) and NO drone. Milltek ticks all these boxes. I hope :-/ Plus I love those black ceramic tips ;-)
No performance gains with any exhausts, same with intake mods.

I recommend following lecture:

Mr_Hansen

Feb 20, 2024
Denmark
No issues taking 5h trip as there is no drone on Touring version. It's "loud" enough and quiet in the same time. Different story is when you ride with some cargo with rear seats folded. Then it's too loud for my taste - snowboard or something longer.

Very interesting reading!

sbc_uk

Totally Hooked
Jun 25, 2023
London, UK
www.instagram.com

Millteks claim not mine. No gain no worry.

pasty

Apr 3, 2024
Slovakia
Hello,

After long reading and thinking i have finally decided to get the AWE Touring exhaust for my GR86. Also huge thanks to members in this forum, you helped me with my decision.

So, what are my choices about importing/buying one if i am from Europe? What would be the best sites which i can order from?

Currently i want to buy it from importimageracing or someone mentioned here subispeed for example. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Joolone

Absorbed member
Aug 31, 2023
Berkshire
Any thoughts on a Scorpion resonated exhaust? I can't find any clips on this fitted on a GR86, only on GT86, and then no mention of if drone was present. I am surprised that hardly anything online about this combination, or is that an indication that it's not good?

Reactions: Orro

hsb

Obsessed member
Nov 8, 2022
Uppsala, Sweden
Hello,

After long reading and thinking i have finally decided to get the AWE Touring exhaust for my GR86. Also huge thanks to members in this forum, you helped me with my decision.

So, what are my choices about importing/buying one if i am from Europe? What would be the best sites which i can order from?

Currently i want to buy it from importimageracing or someone mentioned here subispeed for example. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Bought mine from subispeed but seems they don't ship to Europe any more, but you could try their chat it was very helpful. Otherwise I am sure there are several other US websites that would sell and ship to Europe.

Sonic

Totally Hooked
Jun 23, 2023
Dunfermline
Any thoughts on a Scorpion resonated exhaust? I can't find any clips on this fitted on a GR86, only on GT86, and then no mention of if drone was present. I am surprised that hardly anything online about this combination, or is that an indication that it's not good?
This could be because in the past their products have often described as 'not fit for purpose' by buyers, as well as derisory comments with regards to their level of customer service. I had a scorpion end can on a motorcycle many years ago and it didn't last very long, with a leaky weld and poor rivet work. Despite being 'home grown', it's not a brand I considered for the GR86 and instead plumped for the Cobra Sports system (made in Sheffield) which I am very happy with.

Reactions: Delahorney

Sonic

Totally Hooked
Jun 23, 2023
Dunfermline
A good point made by @sbc_uk as a lot of the after-market exhausts, designed for better flow or sound, don't comply. If it doesn't come with a certificate, you could end up with a nasty fine or your vehicle being impounded by the EU feds o_O

Joolone

Absorbed member
Aug 31, 2023
Berkshire
This could be because in the past their products have often described as 'not fit for purpose' by buyers, as well as derisory comments with regards to their level of customer service. I had a scorpion end can on a motorcycle many years ago and it didn't last very long, with a leaky weld and poor rivet work. Despite being 'home grown', it's not a brand I considered for the GR86 and instead plumped for the Cobra Sports system (made in Sheffield) which I am very happy with.
Thanks for the advice. Cobra it is then.

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
Also remember if you intend to drive in Europe some aftermarket exhausts non CE marked or not TUeV approved are illegal. Make sure you check before you commit.
A good point made by @sbc_uk as a lot of the after-market exhausts, designed for better flow or sound, don't comply. If it doesn't come with a certificate, you could end up with a nasty fine or your vehicle being impounded by the EU feds o_O

There is being risk averse but this is next level πŸ˜… unless you are driving like a complete tool or have a very questionably modified car you aren't going to attract the attention of the Bundespolizei.

sbc_uk

Totally Hooked
Jun 25, 2023
London, UK
www.instagram.com
I can assure you I'm far from risk averse as an individual 🀣 Quite the opposite 😜

However, forewarned is forearmed. I work in Germany as part of my role. A colleague has indeed been fined recently for having an illegal aftermarket exhaust. It might be unlikely or rare, especially if you are a Brit passing through, but it happens. It s a simple check on the exhaust spec sheet. Most are online.

If you choose to ignore, no worries, I'm just sharing 🀷🏼😘

Reactions: Sonic

Goatwidcoat

Devoted member
Aug 15, 2022
Nottingham
Res or non res Cobra? Any drone at all? I'm between this and the Milltek. I'm in Nottingham so neither of them are far and similar prices.

Sonic

Totally Hooked
Jun 23, 2023
Dunfermline
Res or non res Cobra? Any drone at all? I'm between this and the Milltek. I'm in Nottingham so neither of them are far and similar prices.
I went for the non resonated variant just for that extra bit of sportiness at the top end of the rev range. At idle there's barely any difference between the two variants (6.3dB vs 6.9dB), whereas at 4Krpm static the quoted difference is more notable (83.6dB versus 88dB). Around town and normal day-to-day driving I reckon you'd be hard pressed to tell which version it had fitted but, open it up on a country road, climb the rev range and the non-resonated one sings beautifully. As for drone, I have pushed the car into the limiter and spent hours on the motorway. For example, in this clip, I did a roll-on overtake in the GR86 from about 3K rpm to around 6K rpm and at no time does the Dashcam pick up the air filling buzz of drone - compare that to the unadulterated drone in my modified KonaN here as I accelerated to join the motorway and you'll see what I mean ... that noise used to make me feel sick as the whole cabin used to 'fizz' on a positive throttle. Same camera, different car... Use headphones to get the best effect.:sick:
Yes, you can hear the exhaust in the GR86 of course but, it's a great sound and you might find yourself dropping a cog just to get it to growl at passers-by. I'd say the loudest sound in the cabin comes from tyre/road noise which is quite significant on a motorway.

Last edited: