GR Yaris Engineering Explained - how GR the Corolla AWD system splits torque

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Well explained, unfortunately far too little resources that explain awd systems correctly and understandable.

A good complement to my earlier musings on the subject.

That said, to add to the subject, he, consciously or not, simplified by disregarding wheel slippage and weight transfer and all that. A tyre that transfers more torque will have more slippage and thus reduce some of that 0,7% speed differential. So transfering ~70% of engine torque to the rear (induced by speed difference) will actually reduce slippage in the rear clutch especially at lower speeds where wheel torque and thus tyre slippage is higher.

Reactions: Kolbenkopp

Kolbenkopp

Devoted member
Jul 1, 2022
Germany
Honestly, this was what I needed to wrap my head around the concept -- a good primer to your input on the subject which is very much appreciated. And if someone is in a bad mood, go take a look at the YT comments, some of which are hilariously moronic :).

Ecsrobin

Totally Hooked
Dec 14, 2021
This explained why I was always sliding in track mode. When driving quick country lanes and on track in the cold/wet I was often finding the rear sliding. Yet commuting in similar conditions in sport nothing.

Since watching this video I’ve tried out a couple of junctions in track with TC off and it indeed slides very nicely 🤣 I’ll be sticking to sport in the winter if I want grip.

Reactions: Michael Knight

Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
Sliding how? And why?
I've mostly had understeer in track mode (when pushing) so tend to avoid that mode, just to avoid any brown moments. But definitely not rear slides.
Maybe driving the car 'wrong way' but definitely not confidence inspiring in that sense.

Ecsrobin

Totally Hooked
Dec 14, 2021
I've mostly had understeer in track mode (when pushing) so tend to avoid that mode, just to avoid any brown moments. But definitely not rear slides.
Maybe driving the car 'wrong way' but definitely not confidence inspiring in that sense.
Very controlled, I only found understeer in normal.

Powering out of junctions in the wet whilst turning and the rear starts to go. Very controllable but didn’t compute when I felt 50:50 should provide the most grip in my head. As the Toyota engineer confirmed in the video though 50:50 is the mode to make the car slide. And now I know this I can drive accordingly to the modes better.