Electric Cars

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
Never heard of, but looking good and indeed something that should have been made this side of the world?

Risky business investing in one of these Chinese startup EVs. Could very easily become a big ornament in a few years time due to lack of spares. I see this happen in hobbies, let alone cars.

Reactions: sim86 and Spirited

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Svveden
Well I had readily dismissed it as too heavy, but after seeing this I am starting to wonder. When out and about discovering the country and its roads with the family the fun car remains at home. And they are the second big brand in Rally1 and even had engineers from Ford involved in development. Suspension travel looks good and it can be driven as a semi-auto (just like rally cars) and with no lag (antilag equivalent). Some very small roads and the reviewer looks like a quite handy driver and rates it highly...

Sam

Obsessed member
Dec 6, 2021
Tesla are arranging an overnight test drive of the new refreshed Model 3 Performance for me... waiting on them to confirm a date.

Interesting to compare to the segment leader...

2024 Model 3 Performance2024 BMW M3
Weight1855kg1741kg
Power - hp618473
Torque - lb/ft547406

Last edited:
Reactions: Onehp

Duke

Totally Hooked
Dec 27, 2021
Just ordered a Model 3 LR to replace our 2020 A6.

The Performance wasn't available to test otherwise I would have tried it, but realistically the range is too low for the use it frequently gets so the LR was always going to be the "right" option, even if it isn't quite as fast.

It will relegate the Yaris to the slowest car in the family fleet! In a straight line at least ;)

Time will tell if I can get used to the indicators!

Reactions: Onehp and Sam

Sam

Obsessed member
Dec 6, 2021
Time will tell if I can get used to the indicators!

These guys are developing aftermarket stalks.

If I buy a Tesla I'd get the S3XY Knob without a second thought if only because it can operate the "gears" on a physical control.

Also the next update to EuroNCAP safety ratings are mandating that physical controls for many common items must be retained if you want to have the highest safety ratings. This includes indicators, gears, climate, stereo etc. I imagine this may force Tesla to bring this stuff back.

Last edited:
Reactions: MR2rob

Duke

Totally Hooked
Dec 27, 2021
These guys are developing aftermarket stalks.

Yeah, saw that before.

Frankly, it's an indictment on the way the cars leave the factory that someone would even consider making something like this, much less consider it a viable business opportunity.

hoagy_ytfc

Absorbed member
May 28, 2022
Elon taking "the best part is no part" too far IMO.
Its the same shit idea from designers that made Jonny Ive produce Apple's worst laptops. He's gone and they got good again. (Could do with a few more ports still, but the key one are there now)

Sam

Obsessed member
Dec 6, 2021
Its the same shit idea from designers that made Jonny Ive produce Apple's worst laptops. He's gone and they got good again. (Could do with a few more ports still, but the key one are there now)

Tesla have historically maxed out the EuroNCAP ratings, the current gen Model Y actually scored higher than the max and made them adjust the scale.

The 2025 update to EuroNCAP requires physical controls for indicators, gears, audio and climate control to acheive a maximum score.

Hoping this drives Tesla to implement physical controls.

• Love
Reactions: Onehp

Sam

Obsessed member
Dec 6, 2021
New model 3 Performance is a great car to drive, but the UI completely ruins it for me...

The UI on the highland RWD I drove was very offputting. I’ll say it, no stalks is f***ing stupid.

The cost/manufacturing complexity reduction is nowhere near worth justifying the loss of functionality.

Still waiting on my test drive of the highland M3P.

Would be a must to fit aftermarket lights/wipers/gears/turn signal stalks on a Highland. At least one company is working on these for the ‘24 M3P.

I was talking to some colleagues recently, one with a 2023 Model Y, one a Jaguar iPace 400 and another with a BMW i4 M50

The Model Y does the E well but not the V, the Jaguar does the V well but not the E, whereas the BMW gets highly praised, and from a petrolhead owner who had an M3 CS, X3M comp, and the hot Volvo hybrid before the M50.

I think Tesla need to up the ergonomics game, more buttons, CarPlay, add stalks.

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Svveden
Just ordered a Model 3 LR to replace our 2020 A6.

The Performance wasn't available to test otherwise I would have tried it, but realistically the range is too low for the use it frequently gets so the LR was always going to be the "right" option, even if it isn't quite as fast.
Still possible to change the order? Reviews say consumption is very close to LR driven normally, comfort is very close suspension wise, seats very good and the performance is on another level...

I was talking to some colleagues recently, one with a 2023 Model Y, one a Jaguar iPace 400 and another with a BMW i4 M50

The Model Y does the E well but not the V, the Jaguar does the V well but not the E, whereas the BMW gets highly praised, and from a petrolhead owner who had an M3 CS, X3M comp, and the hot Volvo hybrid before the M50.
Interesting. Oddly enough that i4 is no featherweight either, kerb weight ranging from 2,2 to 2,4 tonnes depending on equipment. Makes the roomier well equipped Ioniq 5 N, which I ordered, look like a lightweight and which made me rivise my reservations on weight...

I think Tesla need to up the ergonomics game, more buttons, CarPlay, add stalks.
... the Ioniq 5 N is the very opposite, lots of real buttons and dedicated programmable buttons, so only need one button to push to set the car when a nice bend shows up. Perfect!

Reactions: Sam

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
Motorpoint claim, in their survey, that the retention rate for EV drivers is 30%. That being people that have bought an EV, sold or traded it for another one. The vast majority are going back to ICE or hybrid. Having had five EVs myself, there isn’t a single one on the market that interests me. Six months from selling the Y, I miss the convenience but driving past the queues for the Superchargers at Oxford services last week, I certainly don’t miss the crap charging infrastructure.