GR86 Car just got more expensive….

Chris Mc

Totally Hooked
Jul 27, 2022
TUK sent me this message earlier-

“The reason for me writing to you today is to advise on a VED increase which means the amount of your vehicle is now £30785.00.

The current estimated time of arrival (ETA) is the end of May 2023, but these are subject to change”.

Likely somewhere in the T&C’s they can put the price up since its an external cost from the tax man. There’s half an argument to remind them that had they kept to the “suggested” delivery schedules per marketing, then this cost would have applied.

The old price was £30,640 so the hike isn’t anything other than annoying, £145 I can‘t spend elsewhere.

Reactions: sim61

--Rage--

Totally Hooked
Apr 19, 2022
West Sussex
To be fair, they mentioned this to me on my welcome call. When I asked if the price of the car and interest rate is fixed.

Granted, it’s not what you want to hear when you’re frustrated at looking at processing order.

Hopefully the wait isn’t much longer, it will all be worth it!

Reactions: sim61

sim61

Totally Hooked
May 12, 2022
Surrey
I got the same email. Total cost for Electric Blue is now £31105.00. End of June ETA for mine.

OPC100

Totally Hooked
Apr 23, 2022
Dorset, UK
Bloody rip off, I'd cancel the order. Oh wait....

Just read / watched a few M2 reviews / videos today. £65K+ and yes, whilst in a different league in performance terms, it will not be twice the car the GR86 is. In fact, I'd wager that on UK roads, you would have more fun in the GR86. 😁

Silver Fox

Totally Hooked
May 7, 2022
Just read / watched a few M2 reviews / videos today. £65K+ and yes, whilst in a different league in performance terms, it will not be twice the car the GR86 is. In fact, I'd wager that on UK roads, you would have more fun in the GR86. 😁
I've been doing similar this evening.

There's absolutely no way on this earth I'd swap my GR86 for this new M2.

It weighs half a tonne more, costs twice as much, and looks like it's made of Lego. Horrible.

OPC100

Totally Hooked
Apr 23, 2022
Dorset, UK
I've been doing similar this evening.

There's absolutely no way on this earth I'd swap my GR86 for this new M2.

It weighs half a tonne more, costs twice as much, and looks like it's made of Lego. Horrible.
Ha ha. Yes. I don't think it's as bad as some of the comments I've read (mainly on Pistonheads), but what are BMW doing design wise these days. It's certainly not as bad as that new XM and I spec'd one up on the configurator in black and it looked okay. But I do feel the brake ducts could of been designed less square and they could have finished off the grille a bit better too. 😁

It's heavy because it's massive. It's about 100mm longer and wider than the old one. Basically an M4 (same platform, which is a shame).

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver Fox

Chris Mc

Totally Hooked
Jul 27, 2022
Ha ha. Yes. I don't think it's as bad as some of the comments I've read (mainly on Pistonheads), but what are BMW doing design wise these days. It's certainly not as bad as that new XM and I spec'd one up on the configurator in black and it looked okay. But I do feel the brake ducts could of been designed less square and they could have finished off the grille a bit better too. 😁

It's heavy because it's massive. It's about 100mm longer and wider than the old one. Basically an M4 (same platform, which is a shame).
Do you not remember the Bangle era, started with the 1 series breadvan and back then was very, very marmite.

Reactions: OPC100

OPC100

Totally Hooked
Apr 23, 2022
Dorset, UK
Do you not remember the Bangle era, started with the 1 series breadvan and back then was very, very marmite.
I didn't mind some of his designs. Generally not as pretty as what came before, like in the e39 vs e60 m5. But it was a more modern, edgy era for bmw design. But the latest bmw designs are mostly horrible, or at best weird. I think the 2 series and m2 are some of the better ones, but just feel the m2 front end needed a bit more finishing off.

Reactions: Chris Mc

cc3

Obsessed member
Apr 5, 2022
South
Thing is they are not designing for the U.K. market. It’s what the Chinese and USA want that counts