GR86 Anyone unplugged the sound generator?

jb1750

Obsessed member
Apr 15, 2022
I don’t need much encouragement!

The car really is a revelation to drive without it on - I recommend anyone who is struggling with the snatchy drivetrain to try it. You’ll be amazed at how much impact it has on your ability to rev match and accurately heel & toe when down changing.
Yep, I second that. I unplugged mine last week after a year of daily driving with it connected. In spite of being ‘ideologically opposed’ to the concept of the fake noise, I actually thought it sounded pretty good. I just unplugged it on a whim out of interest. But I’ve got to say I 100% prefer it without. I think the actual engine noise suits the car really well - it’s deffo not as quiet as I thought it’d be and it’s got quite a hard edge which is cool.
I also hadn’t realised that the augmented sound was so present during cruising phase - it seems far more civilised at constant speeds, which obvs helps daily use.
Maybe most importantly (as referenced in above post) with the sound module activated there seems to have been a sort of blurring of input from your right foot to engine RPM. The connection feels much more direct now. It’s a top mod - wish I’d done it sooner✌️

GRistopher

Obsessed member
Oct 23, 2023
I've said this before but I'll say it again. When you've driven the car without it for a while, the noise of the sound generator is hilariously stupid. It's like one of those old top gear episodes where they sabotage each other's cars so they make funny noises.