GR86 Anyone managed to get any insurance quotes for the GR86?

mirokujames

Obsessed member
Apr 20, 2022
Fort William, Scotland
Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with Flow insurance, underwritten by LV.

They are the cheapest i've received by far but i'm always wary of really cheap insurance quotes. Cause usually they are crap if you ever have a problem

Conscript

Totally Hooked
Apr 20, 2022
Kent, UK
Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with Flow insurance, underwritten by LV.

They are the cheapest i've received by far but i'm always wary of really cheap insurance quotes. Cause usually they are crap if you ever have a problem
I think if they are underwritten by LV you'll be fine. Chris Knott are underwritten by the same, I had a claim through them years ago and it was all sorted pretty professionally.

In fact, I might try Flow myself. Going direct to LV I got a quote of about £800.

beorg

Zookeeper
Staff member
Apr 12, 2022
Essex
What dates is everyone getting quotes from considering that none of us have a firm delivery date yet?

I'm thinking weekend of the second week of December is a safe bet for me as my dealer expected the car to be there in the first week.

SJR202

Obsessed member
Jan 28, 2022
Fleet, Hampshire
£460 through compare the market, but will expect I'll add it to my own policy with Admiral until renewal. Seems a bit steep given my Porsche is only £220pa. 42 with 21 yrs NCD...

Chris Mc

Totally Hooked
Jul 27, 2022
Honestly the insurance for these is, for lack of a better term, whack. I know they’re rare but the grouping is insane.
I don’t see any one disagreeing with that sentiment.

For some it could be punitive, hit a cost threshold where it kills the joy.

You could flip a GR86 for a very decent 718 and since that’s only 42E get an insurance rebate, or even a M2 Comp.

Reactions: Delahorney

vinny85

Obsessed member
Apr 21, 2022
Preston
Just called Admiral and quoted £517 for the gold insurance package.. mine has always been around £500 so no surprise.

SmokingPancakes

Obsessed member
Feb 25, 2022
Warwickshire
When I phoned up I told them I don't have the reg of my own car but tell them to use gx22 zbd as an example. They're happy to chance once you have the reg.

The best deal I've had is from Chris Knott, £547, the worst was Adrian flux by a whopping £4,858 :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Conscript and PVGR

Conscript

Totally Hooked
Apr 20, 2022
Kent, UK
When I phoned up I told them I don't have the reg of my own car but tell them to use gx22 zbd as an example. They're happy to chance once you have the reg.

The best deal I've had is from Chris Knott, £547, the worst was Adrian flux by a whopping £4,858 :ROFLMAO:
Thata good because I left Chris Knott earlier this year when I sold my GT86 and had been hoping to get a quote from them for the new car. But hadn't tried them yet.

Reactions: SmokingPancakes

cakper

Devoted member
Apr 9, 2022
Kent
So I just put my details in to the comparethemarket and cheapest was at £350, but I checked the box that I don't have the car yet and put it a random date 2 weeks from now. Can I proceed with one of the quotes and then update the details once I get them? Sorry, never had a situation like this before and not sure whether I should wait or what.

Conscript

Totally Hooked
Apr 20, 2022
Kent, UK
Been running comparison sites and got some of the lowest quotes down to around £430, but still with Admiral, whom I wanted to avoid.
Just rang up and got a quote from Chris Knott (previous insurer with my GT) and they quoted me £470 - slightly more expensive, but they have a lower voluntary excess, and also, I've had good experience with them. So, happy with that :)

They also quoted gap insurance at about £186 for three years cover - I won't take it right away but may have a think about it.

Also, it turns out I had 8 years, NCD, not 7. So, win.

Dal3D

Totally Hooked
Feb 22, 2022
Leicestershire
You've just reminded me about GAP insurance!

Think it'll have to be a "back to invoice" job rather than "replacement car" as there won't be any replacements!
(unless they'll give me a Supra?)

Reactions: Delahorney

GRpirate

Obsessed member
May 1, 2022
Hampshire
You've just reminded me about GAP insurance!

Think it'll have to be a "back to invoice" job rather than "replacement car" as there won't be any replacements!
(unless they'll give me a Supra?)
If you are not taking finance and the likely value of the car for the next year is to be around full retail do you need GAP. My understanding is that in the first year they would pay out the full amount. I can see that it would be handy if. You have a balloon payment you would have to clear in the event of a total loss. Am I missing something here as I had decided no to to bother.

bencollins4

Obsessed member
Feb 1, 2022
If you are not taking finance and the likely value of the car for the next year is to be around full retail do you need GAP. My understanding is that in the first year they would pay out the full amount. I can see that it would be handy if. You have a balloon payment you would have to clear in the event of a total loss. Am I missing something here as I had decided no to to bother.
Assuming you’re talking RTI, this is probably the car where the purchase of one of these policies is next to pointless given expected residuals. If you mean actual GAP, that is totally pointless. Going to struggle to get into negative equity buying new with a deposit I suspect.

Conscript

Totally Hooked
Apr 20, 2022
Kent, UK
This is what I've been puzzling over. Not sure if it's worth it as a cash buyer. My understanding is that any insurance payout must be for the market value of the car....but does that apply if the market value exceeds the retail price/value of the car at the point the policy was initiated?

v8s

Totally Hooked
Apr 15, 2022
This is what I've been puzzling over. Not sure if it's worth it as a cash buyer. My understanding is that any insurance payout must be for the market value of the car....but does that apply if the market value exceeds the retail price/value of the car at the point the policy was initiated?
That has to be worth querying with the insurer since they like their smallprint and there may be a clause saying that a payout in the first 12 months cannot exceed invoice price. Or am I being too sceptical?