A homologation special that never came to be: Golf A59

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
GRY has a lot of similarities with Golf A59. 3-door wide body, lightweight panels, bespoke engine, multi link rear, active diff, very similar power. Very advanced for its time but it would probably cost waaaay more then the GRY back then, and probably why it was binned? And I found a weight of 1375kg so almost 100kg heavier....

Should really cherish driving the GR Yaris, unique modern experience and actually possible for mere mortals when more then say 200 have been made...

Last edited:

Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
GRY has a lot of similarities with Golf A59. 3-door wide body, lightweight panels, bespoke engine, multi link rear, active diff, very similar power. Very advanced for its time but it would probably cost waaaay more then the GRY back then, and probably why it was binned? And I found a weight of 1375kg so almost 100kg heavier....

Should really cherish driving the GR Yaris, unique modern experience and actually possible for mere mortals when more then say 200 have been made...
Agree 100%. it does not matter how many GR's there is, the more there is gives us better support in terms of daily usage etc.
More of a unicorn status would make it available only for collectors which would be really a shame.

There is not just many options at the moment to have a lightweight modern car packed with this kind of driving features.
Would be fun to make a head to head comparison with a 911 or another "generic" sports car. should we make one?

Reactions: Onehp

vevesse

Absorbed member
Dec 21, 2021
Agree 100%. it does not matter how many GR's there is, the more there is gives us better support in terms of daily usage etc.
More of a unicorn status would make it available only for collectors which would be really a shame.

There is not just many options at the moment to have a lightweight modern car packed with this kind of driving features.
Would be fun to make a head to head comparison with a 911 or another "generic" sports car. should we make one?
The GR-Yaris is an Ideal complement to Porsche GTx Cars.

Anyway, IMHO, a vehicle like the GR-Yaris has not been built since the Group B days.

Steve

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
Llanedi, Carmarthenshire
My friend had the Mk IV Golf V6 4Motion back in 2006 when I had a Clio Trophy. It had the lovely 2.8 VR6 engine which sounded so good. It didn’t have the handling and chassis dynamics of the Trophy, a fair chunk heavier with most of that weight in the nose, but it could certainly cover ground effectively, whatever the weather. It also felt solid and well engineered.

In fact when I first drove the GR Yaris, it reminded me of that car, torquey power delivery, indomitable traction, but also the chassis balance. They feel very different from front wheel drive hot hatches, having 4WD changes the character of a car completely.

vevesse

Absorbed member
Dec 21, 2021
My friend had the Mk IV Golf V6 4Motion back in 2006 when I had a Clio Trophy. It had the lovely 2.8 VR6 engine which sounded so good. It didn’t have the handling and chassis dynamics of the Trophy, a fair chunk heavier with most of that weight in the nose, but it could certainly cover ground effectively, whatever the weather. It also felt solid and well engineered.

In fact when I first drove the GR Yaris, it reminded me of that car, torquey power delivery, indomitable traction, but also the chassis balance. They feel very different from front wheel drive hot hatches, having 4WD changes the character of a car completely.
As a colleague pointet out: The GR-Y reminds him as a mixture of the Midship-R5 Turbo and the Clio Williams.

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia

Not sure about the chassi balance though, haven't driven the mk4 but I have driven the mkV R32 (that should be a lot better already), hard, and it's nowhere near the GRY in the chassi department, other then the traits of any front engined awd car in the broadest sense...

Steve

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
Llanedi, Carmarthenshire
Not sure about the chassi balance though, haven't driven the mk4 but I have driven the mkV R32 (that should be a lot better already), hard, and it's nowhere near the GRY in the chassi department, other then the traits of any front engined awd car in the broadest sense...
The GRY is pretty nose heavy too! I’m not saying it’s no better than a Mk IV Golf, just that after a series of very pointy FWD hot hatches, the GRY reminded me more of that car than any of the FWD ones, due to the way it moves under power through corners.

I’ve driven an R32, and wasn’t at all impressed. Felt completely inert and lifeless. Thought the V6 4Motion was more fun to hussle along. R32 was a fat bloater (about 150 kg heavier) for some reason.

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
The GRY is pretty nose heavy too! I’m not saying it’s no better than a Mk IV Golf, just that after a series of very pointy FWD hot hatches, the GRY reminded me more of that car than any of the FWD ones, due to the way it moves under power through corners.

I’ve driven an R32, and wasn’t at all impressed. Felt completely inert and lifeless. Thought the V6 4Motion was more fun to hussle along. R32 was a fat bloater (about 150 kg heavier) for some reason.
I can understand that the IV was better to drive, similar underpinnings after all and lighter is better.

Some numbers from zeperfs.com (converted to kerb weights = din = fuelled no driver):

Golf IV VR6 4motion
Declared 1400kg, heaviest wheighed 1533kg

Golf V R32
Declared 1538kg, heaviest wheighed 1633kg (lower delta with less options to choose from)

However, the GRY isn't particularly nose heavy, roughly 60:40 which isn't the explenation for it different feel to sharp fwd hatches... There is understeer under power though and that's just an awd trait, solved by adding more camber front as many do. And there is also lift-off/trail brake oversteer which the Yaris shares with those fwd hot hatches so watch out!

The golfs have similar weight distribution too but there is just a lot more absolute weight on those similar front tyres...

Maxxx17

Jul 22, 2022
Hi all. I have a GR Yaris and I am very happy with this car. I am happy with everything in it and more. This car starts well and has good speed. I also chipped it a bit. The guys at ecutools helped. But there is a small problem at more than 230 km/h the car starts to lurch a bit. And this is on a flat highway. Maybe that's my problem. Of course, I don't often go that fast, but I've tried the BMW M3 stage 3. It is more confident on the road. Clearly, they are different cars. Any advice on what can be done to my GR Yaris to make it drive better. Be more stable. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
First of all, wrong topic ;)

But in short, it's not an autobahn racer, nor is it a track special. It's a agile capable road car with broad abilities in a range of surfaces and all kinds of weather, that happens to do suprisingly well on track.
For track and high speed, you can put on coilovers and wider tyres and a geo aimed at stability if that is your preference.

Michael Knight

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
www.grcf.fi
First of all, wrong topic ;)

But in short, it's not an autobahn racer, nor is it a track special. It's a agile capable road car with broad abilities in a range of surfaces and all kinds of weather, that happens to do suprisingly well on track.
For track and high speed, you can put on coilovers and wider tyres and a geo aimed at stability if that is your preference.
The one feature I love GR at the moment is its ability to manage weight transfer - > makes it really tossable and fun car on loose surface.
For pure tarmac setup would likely go for tad stiffer. Overall the factory setup is just really good.