GR Yaris 3 or 5 year Warranty?

coldcuppatea

Devoted member
Sep 26, 2022
Picked up my car last week having ordered it on 3rd May 2021. When I ordered it the dealer made a big deal of how it had a 5 year warranty. When I collected they made a big deal of how it had a 3 year warranty that I could extend by servicing it with Toyota 🤔

The brochure I got at the time of order states 5 years warranty.

Toyota’s own website still says 5 years for cars ordered before 1st June 2021.

00BD2544-D1A8-4A7C-962C-7E25365C863F.jpeg

But the dealer are adamant I only get three years, and claim Toyota UK have confirmed this.

Anyone have any experience of this? Am I being unreasonable to demand 5 years cover? Should I take it further?

gr-fun

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 6, 2021
Cheshire
Toyota UK changed from a standard 5 year, to 3 back in approx May 21, but topped up to 10 if you keep it serviced and do less than 100k.

coldcuppatea

Devoted member
Sep 26, 2022
Toyota UK changed from a standard 5 year, to 3 back in approx May 21, but topped up to 10 if you keep it serviced and do less than 100k.

Yeah, I’m aware they changed it from 1st June ‘21. I’m querying whether anyone has got a car ordered before the changed and delivered after it who has 5 years. Toyota’s own warranty documentation suggests that as long as the car was ordered before the cut off it should have a 5 year warranty.

KimmE_GR

Dedicated member
Mar 29, 2022
I picked up my car 2 weeks ago (ordered 03/21) and the dealer told me that i have 2 warrantys now. The 5 year and the 10 year. He said it would be easier to replace something with the "old 5 year warranty".

coldcuppatea

Devoted member
Sep 26, 2022
I picked up my car 2 weeks ago (ordered 03/21) and the dealer told me that i have 2 warrantys now. The 5 year and the 10 year. He said it would be easier to replace something with the "old 5 year warranty".

The “10 year warranty” is something they give after your main warranty is expired on the proviso that you get the car serviced at a Toyota dealership. You can take advantage of this whether you have the new 3 year warranty or the old 5 year one, but as the guy said, the main 5 year warranty is likely to be the best one to have!

300 Sparks

Absorbed member
Dec 19, 2021
Checked with my dealership today as my service book states 3 year warranty.
They confirmed that as I ordered it in Jan 21 it qualified for 5 years on delivery Oct 21.
I take it the car was just given the updated service book on arrival at Burnaston as that's standard now.
One positive is that it hasn't got the 5 year warranty sticker on the already small rear window 😁👍

GRUK

Absorbed member
Dec 17, 2021
I think they've all been coming with the 3 year warranty documentation (mine did in April) but if you ordered before the change you do actually have the 5 year one. Not that it makes much difference if you stay in the dealer network.

Greenthumb

Totally Hooked
Jan 29, 2022
Germany
Since last year, Toyota has automatically given a 10-year guarantee on all of their vehicles? At least in Germany. Even afterwards and retrospectively.

coldcuppatea

Devoted member
Sep 26, 2022
Since last year, Toyota has automatically given a 10-year guarantee on all of their vehicles? At least in Germany. Even afterwards and retrospectively.

Here it is only if you have all the servicing done at a Toyota dealer. I think it’s a good offer, I a was just grumpy at having my full 5 year warranty taken away from me!

Greenthumb

Totally Hooked
Jan 29, 2022
Germany
Well that's the same here. as soon as you no longer do service at the brand-internal dealer, the guarantee is gone forever.... But it's the same with BMW/Audi/Hyundai and all others.

coldcuppatea

Devoted member
Sep 26, 2022
Well that's the same here. as soon as you no longer do service at the brand-internal dealer, the guarantee is gone forever.... But it's the same with BMW/Audi/Hyundai and all others.

Ah maybe that’s where the difference lies. As long as genuine parts are used the warranty cannot be invalidated by servicing at a non-dealer location over here.

Reactions: Gr_dan

Gerard Harris

Feb 17, 2022
🇬🇧
@coldcuppatea this thread is a bit of an eye opener! I test drove and ordered in the first week of June ‘21. But.. does it matter if you were planning for Toyota to service the car anyway, the 10-year warranty kicks in plus the following section still applies 😆

Attachments

5446065B-7DA8-4360-8870-E2D48733B066.jpeg
Reactions: coldcuppatea

coldcuppatea

Devoted member
Sep 26, 2022
@Gerard Harris Good spot re track use coverage! As for “does it matter if I was planning to get it serviced at Toyota anyway?”…for me, yes! Call me a cynical suspicious untrusting person if you will, but I’m working on the basis that if there was absolutely no difference in coverage, they probably wouldn’t feel the need to go from an initial 5 years to 3. I might be wrong (it does happen occasionally 😆), but I just don’t believe it’s being done for the benefit of the consumer!

Having said that, it’s a Toyota…nothing is going to go wrong 🤪

Reactions: Gerard Harris